Tuesday 31 March 2015

Rottnest Island

Well today was quite a day! We headed out on the 10am ferry from Hillarys to Rottnest Island, otherwise known as 'Rat's Nest Island' - which is totally unfair because the creatures that live there are so unbelievably adorable.

We began by hiring out bikes to travel across the 11km hill-ridden Island. We then explored some of the White sand beaches at henrietta rocks on the way to Salmon Bay where we planned to snorkel. Within about ten minutes we worked out that our bikes weren't as good at changing gears as they should be - making hills almost impossible for the first 30secs of each one - followed in quick succession by a whole host of words from Kamal I couldn't possibly write on the Internet. I don't think I've heard a man complain about his bum so much in a day!


Along the way though we ran into the guys behind the island's name, the Quokkas! And that set us back a good hour! 


These little guys are the tamest animals I've ever seen and they're so cuddly and cute. Although simultaneously we had our first experience of the spider invasion as I reached into my rucksack for the camera and an eight legged friend appeared! I'm fine, removing items from the bag one by one was a horrifying experience. But I found it and got rid of it before quickly bumping into a skink (a black snake, newt, lizardy thing).

Anyway the Quokkas were cute enough to help me forget about the whole ordeal.  I even started naming them, Fred, Robin, ....before Kamal reminded me that I wasn't allowed to have one. But Fred and I got along so well, I at least managed to get him to pose for a selfie before continuing our ride.


BEST SELFIE EVER!

Then it was on to little salmon bay, where we chained up the bikes and got out the snorkels (kindly donated by one of Kamal's family members). This was the first time I'd snorkelled? and I won't lie and tell you I was amazing. I looked more like a child learning to swim or a fish flopping around at the surface trying not to die. But once Id worked out how not to breathe in water to my lungs and that you kind of have to breathe in deep like how you imagine a spaceman to do, it was one of the most magical things ever. Pics will follow from the go-pro but for now take my word for it, it was beautiful! My favourite fishes were these huge plain grey ones who looked like they were constantly smiling. I couldn't scream or tell anyone about my excitement about these smiley fishes so instead I just ended up 'eeeeeking' to myself silently underwater. God knows what I sounded like above water! Kamal wasn't a bad thing to find amongst the reef either! I had to drag him out to continue our day. Well he did say he wanted to be a marine biologist! 


So we mastered snorkelling, and hours later are suffering the consequences of exposed backs to the broken Australian ozone layer and some pretty strong sun... We're burnt - Despite 3 layers of factor 50 - Come on!!! 

But what a day. We finished at Rottnest with (more quokka petting) a cycle ride towards food and toilets, via this unexpected beautiful salt lake reveal, which at one point was the only salt source for the entire of Western Australia - cool huh. 


We then sat down by the ferry point spotting Pelicans and trying to work out the species of HUGE flatfish we were watching scare them away. I then sat describing a beautiful pink sunset which Kamal found confusing - I realised quickly in taking my sunglasses off that the pink sky I was describing was actually just sun coloured yellow. Stupid sunglasses.  We both fell asleep promptly on the ferry home.


We are burnt and our bums are bruised (from cycling!), but it was such a great day. We headed out to celebrate the groom-to-be's birthday before bed and I finished of with a cup of tea in bed. Lovely jubbly.

Note to self: 3 layers of factor 50 not enough

No comments:

Post a Comment