Friday 13 March 2015

Dark Side of the Lens

Mickey Smith's 'Dark Side of the Lens' lured me into the sea with images of its power, its force and its beauty. It's accompanied by a steady build of energy in the soundtrack, one that rises with the waves and tumbles on impact.

blog.yinnyang.co.uk
And then the voiceover came. I feel that from there I overlooked the beautiful cinematography slightly as I was so busy trying to decipher what our surfer was saying. I understood his passion, I heard his love for ocean (a love that I share) but I wanted to understand the poetry of the script as much as I admired the cinematography. 

uncoy.com
It was clear that Mickey had spent some time camped out on the rocks, capturing some of the stunning shots we get to see in the film. Stunning captures of dolphins, and caves carved by the sheer force of the ocean swell. He also spent a commendable amount of time in the water, where he captured some of those moments I've only ever wished I could capture whilst I'm swimming/attempting to surf as well as those featured in the film. Great composition, great cinematography.

The film has seamlessly "surfed" (sorry) through the festival circuit, rightfully claiming awards at:

Winner - Best Cinematography, Rhode Island International Film Festival, 2011
Winner - Action Sports Category, Vimeo Awards 2012
Winner - G-Raid Driven Creativity award - Professional Category
Winner - Best Cinematography, 5Point Film Festival 2011
Winner - Grand Prize - Chamonix Film Festival 2011
Winner - Best short - New York Surf Film Festival 2011
Winner - Digital short of the Year, Surfer Poll
Winner - Relentless Short Stories 2011
Winner - Amstel Surf Film Festibal, Peoples Choice award
Winner - Best short, Sheffield Adventure Film Festival
Winner - Best International Short, Canadian Surf Film Festival
Winner - Best Short, Waimea Ocean Film Festival

A great little 5min film and beautifully shot so that it allows us to truly appreciate the spirit of the ocean. It's energy pulled me to the coast and left me dreaming of jump of swells ideal for surfing. I wouldn't mind finding the script somewhere to read through as I feel Mickey has a of worthy things to say! What I heard, I loved but what I didn't, I would love to.

Here it is to judge for yourself: 

DARK SIDE OF THE LENS from Astray Films on Vimeo.


Tweet me in the sidebar @KatMace11 - I'd love to know what YOU think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment