Wednesday 8 April 2015

Day 2 - Waitomo

Day 2 was a 7:30 departure from Hot Water Beach. We started with a morning walk around the old KARANGAHAKE railway and gold mine - complete with a 1km long railway tunnel where I could barely see in front of my face.


We were then taken back to the gold rush era of the late 1800s, when the rich flocked from around the world to strengthen their fortune with solid gold and silver from New Zealand's underground stash.



Three major mining players (NZ Crown Mines, The Woodstock Company and Talisman Gold-mining Company) dominated the industry, discovering new ways of separating pure gold from the Quartz ore, using cyanide. 

The town grew around mining with the population growing to 2000 people by 1907, although it declined significantly when the mining companies had nothing left to dig for. But the swing bridges and railway was left behind for us to learn from and enjoy!



Moving on from the mines we found out a bit about NZ's world famous L&P drink...



And then it was on to the best part of the trip so far - The Waitomo Caves. We started by abseiling down a 115 foot  hole in the ground, then zip-lined the extra 30m in complete darkness not completely sure if it would stop. We jumped into some rubber rings into some absolutely F***ing freezing water (it took me 5 attempts to to jump). Then we tubed along the most beautiful glow worm cave and all I could do was coo like a girl. It was so pretty!



We were then allowed to take a little wander in the cave on our own, feeling our way forward and exploring - something our guides say they are trying out for the first time, and it was so much fun. We had two great guides in Dom and Scuba who made me and kamal blush when he saw us off and said we we make a nice couple. At the end of the cave wander I was so shivery that Dom even gave me a hot and sticky - no it's not what it sounds like. He just poured hot orange juice down my wetsuit! Which basically felt like I'd wet myself backwards. 

Then we finished the tour with a slide into some more freezing cold water, an encounter with a couple of eels and a climb up a waterfall, I forgot how much I love climbing. We then emerged into a pitch black world which looked like we were still in the cave, but the acoustics were different and there were trees. Really surreal exit from our 5hr cave expedition.

It was soo so good, and our guides were so great we caught up with them for a night of drinking at the general store. The general store is a cafe and shop by day, a bar by night - something I wish we had back home as a local.  Dom then told me his plans to travel and cave in Thailand and the discovery of a cave which could fit the Titanic in, as well as me challenging him to share who his craziest guest has been as a cave guide. Oh and on route from there to Curly's bar I had the most tremendous stack of my life, cutting my elbow, hand, knee and hip. Only me - and I'd only had one!


We celebrated Ken's birthday into the early hours and hit the hay at 2am for a 8:45 bus departure! 

Man what a day! Trip advisor top points for Waitomo ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment