Saturday 18 April 2015

Day 13 - Franz Josef

Oh man what can I say about today?!!! Did three things for the first time in my life. Climbed a glacier, took a helicopter ride AND skydived!!!!!!

Finally the weather was on our side. As I drew back the curtains to dazzling sunlight after my rough night, I couldn't wait to get some breakfast down and head up the glacier!

We jumped onto a helicopter and landed up on the glacier, with the other climbers too small to even be visible against the scale of the glacier. We landed on the ice, attached or clamp ons and headed on up to explore!

Despite all th layers we thought we'd need it was actually boiling up there. We were constantly climbing, our group was so fast we got to higher than groups usually go. We even witnessed two avalanches whilst on the ice! But it left kamal looking for ways to cool off!


While I was left sticking around...


We also got to explore a couple of caves where I almost took a swim after slipping down further into the hole than I meant to. But what a view from the top, such a beautiful but f nature to get the chance to stand on!



Then as soon as our feet were back on the ground we had ten minutes to change and run down the road to sign in at skydive Franz to make the last jump of the day - they even stayed open for Kamal and I to jump! 

I was absolutely terrified and convinced I was going to die but my god, what a dice! We climbed above mount Cook and my guy let me know we were at half of our altitude! I was jumping at 16,000 feet which takes about 16mins to climb to. Kamal was taking the biggest in NZ at 19,000 feet! Oh man, hands down the most insane experience of my life. Sunset in the coast, snowy mountain peaks, glacier and clear blue sky - absolutely perfect!!

(This smile is a total lie - I'm so scared)



I was down on the ground wayyy before Kamal, and heard a strange sound. Soon realised it was kamal and his jump pal singing 'I believe I can fly' thousands of feet up in the air. He also wins best picture wih the second picture here!



Incredible right?!


And I was there waiting to greet him at the bottom! 


We treated ourselves to an Indian for dinner and we still can't quite wipe the smiles from our faces. I'm so proud of myself for jumping today! Amazing weather, amazing experiences, my amazing man and it's pretty much made our holiday so far!!!!

That's it, we jumped out of a plane together - we're bros for life now ;) night all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment