Wednesday 24 February 2016

Unicorns and Hook-Up Apps

So last night I watched a film about a man who identifies as a unicorn - yes a unicorn. 

i.ytimg.com
A recovering alcoholic and prolific drug-addict, a burning-man enthusiast has created his very own universe, cornicopia, in which all of his polyamorous friends can live - only it's not a universe, it's his bedroom and apparently they can't all bring themselves to sleep together. 

I can't say much more without directing you to watch it - I'm all for extroversion, gender fluidity and non-binary expression but unicorns are taking it too far. With his obsessive personality and recurrent need to try new outrageous hobbies - he clearly needs counselling above anything else. Maybe one of the glamicorns should tell him?

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/video/unicorns-038  

vice-images.vice.com


Then I watched a film about the mobile love industry - that's things like Tinder, Grindr and Her for the layman. Most of these apps feel a little too much like window shopping for me to ever get stuck in - that, and I already have a partner. There was however, one exception. If you Happen to come across Happn you may be surprised at how it manages to keep the spontaneity and coincidence of an actual meeting. It tracks the route of your travel and matches you with someone nearby who shares part of that journey - almost as though you were to bump into them on the way to work. Magical...that is until we meet the guy who says it's good for a girl not to sleep with a guy on the first date - only to be asked, 'why does the girl have to say no, why can't it be the guy?' - good question!

I'm stuck in the past a bit with dating apps, I don't trust things (or people) I cannot see. Particularly when you look at stats of sexual violence against the increase in the use of hook-up apps. Because that's what they really are aren't they, hook-up apps. I don't think dating has been a part of dating apps for a while now. I'm not planning on using an app to find my catch, but if i found myself single and was ever to start, I'd start with the gift from the city of love: Happn.

No comments:

Post a Comment