Sunday 30 March 2014

Producers: Naughty or Nice?

Flicking through February's Broadcast magazine a month too late got me a little riled up. Not because of the time it took me to read it, but because of the article stating the following:

'To become a top producer, it really helps if one is an obsessive control freak and has no problem bullying junior employees'.
Steven D Wright, Creative Director, Whizz Kid Entertainment

Does bullying really lead to success?
Now I have been really really lucky in that, before graduating from uni I had lots of work experience under my belt. That experience spread from development research at indies like TwoFour and Tuesday's Child, to production running for Mentorn, Ruby Films and Indigo TV, to production assisting for IBC TV News over in Amsterdam. There's more too! Now, I'm not completely convinced that in any of these stints, had a producer displayed the kind of behaviour that Wright describes as an asset, that I would have still been so driven to become a producer myself. 

I'm not entirely convinced of how much of Wright's article is meant as satire, I've wheezed my way through enough illness today to prevent me from delving into that. However, satire or not, he is not alone in drawing attention to the belief that nastiness wins success in the production world.

I think it's complete rubbish that throwing your weight around the junior end of the office is going to bring out better results. I won't say where, but during my time in one of the positions I mention above, I was confronted by a senior member of staff 'shouting and screaming' at me. Not for ruining a shot, or for screwing up a phone call; for not interrupting my producer whilst she was on the phone and handing her some rushes in person. I instead placed them on top of her keyboard so that when she resumed typing, she would see it clearly labelled 'rushes - urgent'. The senior in question then came shouting down the corridor, in front of all other members of the team - junior and senior - and proceeded to swear at me and call me incapable. I almost jumped at the chance to alert him to the fact I wasn't on the payroll and that actually my actions were justified, but after a long day, I simply turned to him and said 'sorry'.

Superstar Dogs - C4.com
Obsessive control freak, yes. I believe that does help when producing. Piles of paperwork and an inbox that only your list of cleaning chores at home seems to rival, mean that meticulous attention to details and a drive for getting things done, demands a controlling attitude. But shouting at those you work with is never going to make anybody's life easier. Tuesday's Child's producers were lovely to me. They gave me opportunities, treated me as an equal - and look where they've just been - top of the ratings with 'Superstar Dogs'. And they didn't need to act like complete arseholes to get there! They have each built up a reputation of their own and now at Tuesday's Child they are practiced enough to know how to do things properly, and to treat people properly too.

Another example, I recently produced and directed my own documentary. I know for a fact, that had I at any given time shouted or screamed at any members of my crew we would never have reached our deadline. The film would have fallen arse over tit towards that pile of paperwork in the corner of my bedroom, and I would have spiralled into a pit of despair and disappointment. As it turns out, I had an amazing team and amazing contributors and I would not even think about playing the 'producer' card.

There is getting jobs done and giving people a nudge to ensure it happens, and then there is what Wright describes. That's not producing, not by today's standards. 'Producing' promotes productivity - and how many of us are productive when we feel down or constantly under attack? Perhaps as producers of the future we need to grab this by the horns and tackle it head on. Producing has nothing to do with treating people like crap to get the job done, it is much simpler than that. It is getting the job done at all. It is ensuring it is the best it can be. It is about intrinsic satisfaction, both for the team and for the audience. Why do you think shows like Educating Yorkshire go down so well?

deadline.com
Perhaps it depends on genre. Entertainment idols like Simon Cowell and BB superstars like Nasty Nick and Rex, have led us all to believe that being nasty can only lead to nice things. But if any of us are heading in the direction of factual production, I don't think we'd find ourselves being very successful at talking to assault victims, sufferers of terminal illnesses or any of the contributors we like to throw onscreen, if our most nameable attribute is 'nastiness'.

You can - believe it or not - be successful AND be nice to people. And here's a special Mother's Day shout out to say - my mum taught me that one! Crazy thought I know - but if you want proof, check back here in ten years time - it'll be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment