Thursday 6 November 2014

Lesson 2 - Visuals are Important

Lesson number 2 from Barry Hampe - visuals are important! A commentary is merely a collection of comments made on a particular subject. What makes a documentary MORE than just a commentary, are the visuals. And here's another shortfall in my debut documentary that I now recognise.

I was so focussed on capturing the words and comments of our contributors to piece together the story, that visuals became secondary. I believed that archive reels would suitably cover the moments I failed to shoot original footage for, and it did to an extent but it took away from the personalities of our wonderful contributors and at some points felt forced.

In my approach, I now know I was wrong. The film still turned into a significant film for those involved and I feel carried the message I'd intended. It was emotive, it told the truth... but it did so verbally rather than visually and I realise now that this let it down.

Still, onwards! Learning for next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment