Sunday 16 November 2014

Imperial War Museum Short Film Festival



The Coach That Made History

This film had an interesting concept. I never knew the significance of coach 2419 in which or around which so many defining events took place; the first armistice in 1918, second armistice in 1940 and so many more. The narration allowed me an insight into just how large a part it played in history and just how clever Hitler's propaganda radar really was. However, after a while I wanted more than narration. I wanted experts, I wanted interpretations, I wanted more than just some archive and a knowledgeable narrator.

That is not to say that there was not a remarkable amount of archive that had clearly meant a lot of research. But the absence of a contributor left the production searching for visuals, leaving some of the images that perhaps would ordinarily be thrown out, to find their way in (A thing I too am guilty of within my first production). There were wobbly pans and over-exposed pull focuses that although were relevant, just took away from the fact that this was actually, a very finished, interesting and informed piece.

The narration was well written and well researched but was annoyingly ruined a little by the rather intriguing choice of music. In short, I thought the music was terrible. I understood that at times it was supposed to represent jeopardy and therefore fell away from major tones and pleasing notes, but it swelled into a key bashing mess that became too prominent to ignore. My advice, find a new composer. I'm sure that their other works are better, but the thought of this soundtrack makes me shiver.

In all I thought that this would work well as a historical piece and if they sorted out the music and some of the contemporary shots that were a bit wobbly, they've got some grounding to look for distribution within museums, maybe even the IWM themselves.



The Last Words of Gavrilo Princip

I was a lot more excited about the promise of this film than it returned. However, it was an interesting angle to tell the story of Franz Ferdinand's assassin. The location was well found. The cinematography wasn't bad either. The costume was well attempted. The hardest colour to make look dirty is white, I'll say that much. A tip for the next time you need a white shirt to look like it's been worn for years, to buy a grey one. It's kinder on the aesthetic for a period piece and MUCH easier to make look dated and dirty.

I would have liked to have seen a flashback, cleverly shot could have meant there was no need for crowds, just for a third character to be shot. And a reaction shot from Gavrilo Princip. I'd also have liked to have seen some form of written reveal. He is given paper but we don't get to see the result of it. He really DID write whilst in prison, there is record of two letters written by Princip... could that have been used to give it more grounding? Particularly with the title being 'The Last Words'... we never know what those last words are!!!
The booklet was entitled Gavrilo Princips Bekenntnisse, Gavrilo Princip’s Confessions. It was published in Vienna by Rudolf Lechner and Son. It was a short monograph consisting of 32 pages. The first part was an introduction and a commentary including two letters that Princip wrote. The last section contained the stenographic notes of the conversations that Pappenheim had with Princip from February 19 to June 5, 1916. http://serbianna.com/analysis/archives/2737
These are all suggestions of course, as a piece it was nice but I feel it could have been even better as the team showed clearly that they had the skill and dedication to make something worthwhile.




Time Bleeds

I liked Time Bleeds quite a bit. I'm still a little unsure as to whether the candid voxpops/interviews were the actors being genuine or if they were acting there too. Aside from that, it was a great idea to show the relevance of the world war in our modern lives. Rather than preaching it, it painted the picture for us, which made it less of an appeal and more of a dramatic exploration. It also portrayed the impact it had on a generation, a young generation. It had some powerful re-enactment scenes with those characters we'd already met elsewhere.

More than that, I have to applaud the actor's ability. Particularly the girl with the ginger hair. I liked the symbolism and I like how the group did not try and attempt to be something that they weren't. they were an acting group, and they were portrayed as just that. I think it could be an interesting film to show within other drama classes when exploring the world war.




Desecrating Eden
Desecrating Eden was a nice angle on something I'd never known about. It did however, need a bit of context to inform the audience what it was about. There's only so much we can tell from a poem and some silent images. A blurb on screen before and after, explaining which conflict it was about, which year it concerned and what happened would have added a lot more meaning to what we saw on screen. I still don't know any more than i did about that particular part of history than when I walked in. Although I did appreciate that there were some nice archive reels within the film.




Chronicles of Courage

Chronicles of Courage was wonderfully shot and the best of the bunch that I was able to see. It had some nice Visual effects, particularly with the silhouette of our soldiers against a fiery orange sky.

The trench scenes were particularly impressive and the make-up (particularly the scar) was brilliantly done. It conveyed research, it told a story, it acknowledged that a soldier's tale is not the only tale of WW1. What was nice is that it was based on truth. Real letters that passed through the fingers of those at war and found themselves dramatised for an audience 100yrs later. There's almost a bit of magic in that and the magic was justified. 
The narration was well read, the cinematography well planned and well executed. The grading was nice. I can't really fault it to be honest, It's voice was not to inform, nor to teach, more to express a personal reflection on personal experiences therefore we can find no fault in that.
Great film, I hope it's released by Savage Mills for the masses to enjoy.
It's even inspired me to think more pro-actively about a documentary idea about women in WW1.

No comments:

Post a Comment