Wednesday 13 November 2013

'The Power of Story' - Alison Owen

On 18th October, nearly a month ago now I sporadicly attended one the London Film Festival's Keynote Speeches. Held in an indie cinema near Leicester Square, film enthusiasts gathered to hear producer Alison Owen speak about 'The Power of Story' in today's industry.

For months I have been telling others that I believe the reason that the industry is failing as many say it is, is because there is less money spent on good scripts every day. Instead it goes to 3D and vfx gimmicks that wear off after an audience has seen it once. I wanted her to tell me it wasn't the end for good stories and that the career I had set my sights on, was all going to be ok.

Her talk was a humorous one, drawing upon comedic anecdotes and comparisons that beguiled us. However, there were some quite personal reveals also. When speaking of the films she has worked on, she revealed that almost every one of them has been linked to something she wanted to take hold of in her life. She believed that new release 'Saving Mr Banks' was about her children but during filming, she took hold of a new meaning for her work. She instead began to email her father. Every day she would write to him and he would read it. During filming, her father fell ill.
She continued on set but suddenly felt a dramatic urge to fly home to him. She arrived by his bedside and laughed with him. Only hours later, he died, in her arms. She revealed that without 'Saving Mr Banks' she would not have said goodbye to her father. In a room filled with these iron-hearted journalists and life-jaded professionals I felt feeble, when all my being was holding me back from tears.

But then, it hit me. That was the reason I wanted to work in film. I remember seeing films and being drawn to tears and learning things. I learned about myself, about others, about the past, about the present. I learned of real things, real events and of things merely a figment of someone else's imagination.

I have never been so glad for attending something. She had inspired me once again and reminded me that stories are still important. I have always believed that stories have been a part of our nature since we were cavemen and will continue to be, until we are cavemen again. As the Hollywood reporter says 'Owen theorized that the internet should not and could not be regarded as an enemy to the movies, describing it simply as a new "container'

When so many others fear the internet and that it will strangle the breath from the industry we all love, it was nice to hear someone present it as another container: another cinema, another DVD, another novel - not a nuclear warhead set on destructing the entire film infrastructure. 


I was so inspired that I set about emailing Ruby Films as soon as I arrived home.

I wonder if at all there was any possibility of you passing on this email to Alison Owen. I was at the Keynote Speech 'The Power of Story' and felt that finally someone was transcending the notion of VFX gimmicks and capitalising on existing franchises, into real cinema. I just wanted to thank her personally for that.

I also heard her mention 'The Fury' about the suffragette movement. I am currently developing a script based on a transcript of my great great aunt, who happened to be close friends with Sylvia Pankhurst, suffragette. I wonder if at all there was the possibility of gaining some development experience within the team as my interest in the subject matter is truly great. I love a good story, one with struggle, one with torment and one with passion and reason to fight. I feel that the suffragette movement gives us all of that. I have many ideas I wish to develop, and development experience within the drama genre would give me a greater understanding of exactly how to go about it.

As well that, I too would like to submit my CV to Ruby Films for any upcoming opportunities as a runner. I have had development/research experience in fact and fact/ent. I have had production running experience for live shows and have just returned from Amsterdam where I was employed as a Production Assistant for IBC TV News. I have attached my Cv for you to consider.

Furthermore, I would like to thank Alison for reigniting my faith in the industry. It is nice to know that so many still believe in stories over gimmicks. I would absolutely love to gain some more relevant experience with Ruby Film as drama is truly where I want to steer my career. It is a love and passion of mine and I would love to be considered for any opportunities you may have,

Would you have guessed that a week later I'd be at Ruby Films agreeing to do three weeks work for them in December?! It was obviously meant to be. I only thank Alison for sharing that emotional story with us all, along with a few moments from the film itself.

I can't wait to see 'Saving Mr Banks'. Be sure to check back for my review in a few weeks!

Those at the BFI LFF Premiere of 'Saving Mr Banks'

No comments:

Post a Comment