Wednesday 13 November 2013

Rumculls & Ragwater

On 1st November myself and Kamal failed at the romantic evening we should have been having for our second year anniversary. Instead, we postponed to the 2nd November where we treated ourselves to a challenging hangover recovery and an evening of theatre in Greenwich on a cold and gusty evening.

With Blackheath's fireworks lighting up the not-so distant sky we stood hand-in-hand beneath the shadow of the Cutty Sark waiting to go in. After a cheeky beverage of Frulli (strawberry beer - it's amazing) that is.

I was extremely excited as it would be the first time since moving to greenwich, that I would enter the Cutty Sark, and it was to see a performance! Secondly, the performance was by 'The River People'. Now, the reason this is so exciting, is because two years ago, I ventured to the Edinburgh Fringe with some friends of mine to put on a production called 'Last train to Wigan'.
(Check it out here http://edinburghfestival.list.co.uk/event/227597-last-train-to-wigan/ )


Little Matter
During our stay in Edinburgh, we had a little time to indulge in some other performances around the city. It was here we came across 'The River People'. Of all the theatres they could have chosen to perform in, they instead parked a caravan in a hidden courtyard locked with a key and placed their audience on pillows and blankets in the warm and incense filled awning. Here I saw their charming puppeteering and musical genius amidst a folk-tale frenzy of some truly beautiful theatre in, 'Little Matter'. I only wish I could link you to a recording of the performance because it was honestly beautiful! Perhaps even the best I've ever seen.

Anyway, so that is the act they had to follow and I would be lying if I said they had succeeded. I was unsure even when booking, mainly because of the word 'cabaret' existing in its synopsis. However, with the performance that had preceded it, I was sure it would be a hit. With it being in the Cutty Sark too, how could it not be great? However, I was not hit with the same calibre of ammunition I had been hit with in Edinburgh. The puppetry they spoke of and showed in the trailer, was less inspiring and this time only consisted of some items of clothing used to identify different characters. You can view the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMpPcCOKYLQ

It was an evening of song and I for one, really find it difficult to follow a story when it is carried purely by song. Mainly because I become so drawn to the talents of the musicians in this case,
that I forget to listen to the story and therefore find myself a bit lost. I also felt myself listening for faults in vocals rather than focussing on the introduction of the next character. I felt as though I had been left behind whilst the rest of the audience had been captivated. I was a little disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, there were moments of brilliance for me too - even if I was trailing behind the others. The lover's goodbye song was beautifully sung and acted. I had just - or rather - they had just set the bar too high in Edinburgh. I was grateful to finally see the extent of their company and enjoyed the many musical talents of all of the cast. Seeing them all play a least three instruments each, blew me away a little to say the least. A particular favourite character was the owner of the bar, her voice was fantastic and she really had me laughing both with her scripted jokes and those that seemed a little more unpracticed. I just wish I could have grasped the mystery and gusto of the story they were trying to tell!

I give this performance a 6/10. I really hope that the upcoming tour of the show is a success as the company are truly very talented. They are masters at enchanting their audiences by making them feel intimate and comfortable in some sometimes strange venues. This performance was not necessarily the performance for me, but I do look forward to what comes next.

Because be certain - They will be back again - And so will I!

The Company


2 comments:

  1. Good review, may go to see them when they are back in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely recommend it! Particularly if they have any upcoming folk tales! They release new shows here: http://www.theriverpeople.co.uk

      Delete