Wednesday 10 September 2014

Faces - Professional Viking

Today I went to the Tall Ship Parade of Sail in Greenwich where over 50 tall ships sailed along the Thames. It was a majestic farewell as the ships floated away into the shadows of the O2 Arena and face the expanse of sea ahead.

I also took a stroll around the festival grounds at the Maritime Museum and came across this man. He was sat making rope, outside a tent, eating nothing but bread and sporting a genuine beast of a beard. Thinking this was cool I took it upon myself to ask about his day job. His brief answer was - 'I'm a professional viking' - which I think is the best job title EVER. Today he took a day off from being a viking and instead took a trip back to show us the trades of our past.

He then went on to tell me how awesome his job really is, as him and his chums got to spend a solitary night at Lindisfarne monastery watching the stars, listening to the sound of the seals singing and the waves lapping at the island's edge. What a perfect image and the perfect way to make the office sound less appealing!

Look out for him at historical themed events near you - particularly viking events - he's a professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment