Tuesday 1 April 2014

The Tap Project - UNICEF

I never knew what a ruckus I could cause by simply sharing the link for the Tap Project from UNICEF. I sometimes wonder why we are all so practised in the art of cynicism. Of course, I'm not saying we should all walk around with a permanent smile etched into our faces that leaves cracks in our cheeks because of how forced it is. But I do wish that when something good comes along, such as the Tap Project, people would lay off with the doubt, stop convincing everyone it is some terrible government strategy to monitor us all and just get with it.

The Tap project, for those of you who don't know, ran from Valentine's day until yesterday, 31st March. It was created my UNICEF, sponsored mainly by Giorgio Armani and basically consists of participants setting their phones aside for as long as they can. For every ten minutes that they do, UNICEF pledged to provide 1 day of clean water to children in need among the 768million people who do not have regular access to clean water. All you need do is visit the weblink, settle your phone down and don't touch it. The moment you pick your phone up, the timer on the website stops and you are given the chance to donate actual cash, or just add your days of clean water to the UNICEF tap. Simple! - Of course, it would completely ruin my faith in humanity if, being April Fools Day, I was told it was all a joke. But what a great thing to do right?! 

My facebook post was then commented on by people asking 'how does it know', 'what stops us from leaving it all night, it's not really a challenge for us then' and 'I don't trust it. You don't know what it's doing... And just because it's a large organisation, it doesn't stop them from doing things against my ethical beliefs' - that meaning, collecting data or monitoring your phone usage etc.

All I wanted was to share something good. Add a little happiness and hope to the depressing world of morning status' on Facebook. Jeez, lighten up people. 

Personally I think the Tap Project is a great idea and I jumped at the chance to do something that so easily fit itself into my working day. I can't wait to hear the results.
Check here for UNICEF updates on all things water and the upcoming Soccer Aid: http://www.unicef.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment